Skip to content

1911 Cornelius Mannin

1911 Mannin_01a
Cornelius Mannin lived in 2 Upper Mount  street circa. 1911. along with five children. He was a well renowned Pharmaceutical Chemist serving the nobility and gentry throughout Ireland. 

Apart from being a Pharmaceutical Chemist he was also an agent for Eau de Colognes, medicinal tonics and hair restorers. He also had a chemical laboratory and a wholesale business specialising in oils, paints and glass.

More detail about his career can be found in the Local Industries of Dublin, an account of leading business men and commercial interests, see below.

1911 Mannin_08

Local Industries of Dublin

Below is  article on Cornelius Mannin from The Industries of Dublin. Published Spencer Blackett 1887

C- Mannin, Pharmaceutical Chemist, 2, Great Brunswick Street, and 110. Great Britain Street. —
This house has been in existence for more than half a century, which fact, of itself, speaks volumes for the attention bestowed, and for the quality of the goods supplied. It is a very large wholesale and retail house, doing an enormous first-class trade amongst the nobilty and gentry. The connection is by no means confined to Dublin alone, but, on the contrary, is very much widespread, reaching as it does all over Ireland. There is hardly a town or village which is not supplied directly or indirectly by Mr. C. Mannin, and the reason why is not a very hard problem to solve. The excellence of all articles sold by Mr. Mannin is well known, and that is sufficient. Besides his establishment in Great Britain Street, Mr. Mannin has another at No. 2, Great Brunswick Street.


Shamrock Cycle Syndicate Limited

Cornelius Mannin was the original founder of the Shamrock Cycle Factory call them ‘Brunswickʼ, a year later in 1893 he launched a new Bicycle ‘Shamrockʼ.

However this building is a later replacement, built as a factory for the first all-Irish bicycle. By 1896 they were turning out 80 bicycles a week. Its quality brick detailing is very much in keeping with a commercial premises making a statement on the street. Great Brunswick Street was laid out by the Wide Street Commissioners in 1812 after a long negotiation with Trinity College, whose grounds define the southern side of the street. Lots were sold by public auction from 1813, and construction continued for the next forty years. The street, Dublin’s longest, was renamed in 1922 after William and Patrick Pearse, who were executed in 1916. The Pearse family had a business at number 27.

1911 Mannin_03b
1911 Mannin_03d
1911 Mannin_03c
1911 Mannin_05b

A photograph of the Shamrock Cycle Factory which appeared in article about the factory in the The Irish Wheelman, a late 19th century publication

1911 Mannin_04a

The Hub Plant of  Shamrock Cycle Factory also from the same article in the The Irish Wheelman, a late 19th century publication